Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Apropos of nothing...

Here's an awesome animal list (take it with a grain of wikipedia-salt, of course).

Did you know that if you want to say that someone is "alligator-like," you can call them "eusuchian"?

Or that a baby crocodile is called a "crocklet"? (Even better: a baby falcon is called an "eyass.")

Or that a group of earthworms is called a "sloop"?

Or that a group of siskins is called an "ebert"? Not to be confused with... (Okay, sorry, it's late.)

Or that the male and female armadillo is called a "lister" and a "zed," respectively?

(I'm picking these out more or less at random.)

Anyway, why?

Answer: this list is coming very handy in a song I am writing. Of course!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Anyway, why?

Answer: this list is coming very handy in a song I am writing. Of course!


Uh-oh... I sure hope I don't have to sing pyrrhuloxine, myrmecophagine, eusuchian, ornithorhynchine or cock in concert.

(Hey! But a female wombat is a jill! Neat!)

Andrew Durkin said...

Uh-oh... I sure hope I don't have to sing pyrrhuloxine, myrmecophagine, eusuchian, ornithorhynchine or cock in concert.

Hey, don't give me any ideas!