Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Quote of the evening, part 2

"Nothing aloof about that right hook."

That one is c/o Andrew Sullivan, re: Obama's (second) mention (in a debate) of the McCain Iran "joke" version of "Barbara Ann." (And by the way, as a doo-wop fan, I feel compelled to point out that this tune was originally recorded by the Regents, not the Beach Boys. So calling it "the Beach Boys song" is a little misleading. But of course that's neither here nor there.)

Anyway, did you notice how the aforementioned right hook came a few seconds after Obama had managed to disarm McCain?

Obama: Now, Sen. McCain suggests that somehow, you know, I'm green behind the ears and, you know, I'm just spouting off, and he's somber and responsible.

McCain (grinning uncomfortably): Thank you very much.

Obama: Sen. McCain, this is the guy who sang, "Bomb, bomb, bomb Iran," who called for the annihilation of North Korea. That I don't think is an example of "speaking softly."


And McCain visibly drooped.

What does "green behind the ears" mean, exactly? Beats me. But I hope we can put to rest the conventional pundit wisdom about Obama not being tough enough to win this.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I cheered out loud at that moment. My hotel room has paper thin walls, so my apologies to my neighbors. :)