Sunday, July 16, 2006
Thanks to Daphne, today I present another recent DVD aquisition -- the best of the Electric Company. A big hit with the little girl, it merits some remarks here for a few reasons:
1. I realize now that this show may have featured Morgan Freeman's best work.
2. It is chock full of people-I-would-come-to-admire-for-other-reasons-though-I-never-would-of-known-it-at-the-time: Mel Brooks, Gene Wilder, Zero Mostel, Joan Rivers, and so on.
3. I realize now why certain adults never seemed too thrilled that I (a white suburban kid) liked the show -- it features "ethnic types" prominently. (This is precisely one of the reasons I'm thrilled to let Thandie watch it.)
4. I may have had my earliest conscious sexual fantasies about Rita Moreno and Judy Graubart. Hubba hubba!
5. The show just proves again that children's entertainment need not be saccharine and safe. Viva la chaos!
6. Rock and roll! Lots of rock and roll! ("Short Circus" may be the best band name ever.)