Thursday, July 28, 2005

Peacock v. Costello



Somehow I missed this when it actually happened. There are a few unanswered questions about it, so I'll make my commentary brief: it's a damned shame that, regardless of whatever was said between the two men, or what their motivations were, the worst case scenario is still believable in this day and age. What the fuck?

He's an interesting cat, Costello. Not a consistent favorite of mine (the bittersweet, woe-is-me romantic stuff tends to go in one ear and out the other), but I admire his various attempts to push himself musically, as demonstrated by his frequent collaborations, whether they turn out to be gorgeous (Bacharach) or unremarkable (McCartney).

I recently got reacquainted with Armed Forces, one of Costello's early piss-and-vinegar albums, from the phase of his career that I still find most endearing (though Costello himself seems to dismiss a lot of that music now). Highly recommended if you've never indulged.

No comments: