Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Find it, find it now

One of Web 2.0's better moments? Not likely.

I don't get it. Is this meant to be a sleuthing device, to help you pinpoint the original version of some hard-to-place melody stuck in your head? In that sense, I suppose the thing has potential.

Or is it really (yet another) social networking site, masquerading as a music service? What's with the sharing? The ratings? The comments?

Worse yet, is this the American Idol philosophy run amok? Social networking as a massive talent show? Why else would one want to take the time to listen to an insipid a capella rendering of "Amazing Grace" (or whatever)?

Aside: in a former life, I worked as a librarian in the music and arts department of a NJ library. A few times a week I got to helm the music reference desk, where I was sometimes asked to help someone hunt down the name of some elusive ditty or other. It was in this way that I first came to learn the names of some of my favorite cartoon melodies, like "Entrance of the Gladiators" and the "Volga Boat Song" (both of which have been quoted in recent IJG tunes). Good times.

No comments: