Friday, May 30, 2008

Friday Muxtape no. 5

This one.

1. Chicago Pro Musica: Paul Bowles, "Music for a Farce" (1)

Classical, farcical trumpet: what's not to like? From the author of The Sheltering Sky. I wonder what kind of blogger he would've been.

2. Tadd Dameron: "Fontainbleau"

For a while, this was a template for me.

3. Todd Rundgren: "Love in Action"

If you can sit through the verses, it's a great tune.

4. Acme Rocket Quartet: "Sleep Waltz"

Pleasantly eerie: like Davis, CA (the band's hometown). And the best band name ever. (And that's the last time I'll ever use that grammatical construction.)

5. Johnny Kidd and the Pirates: "Doctor Feelgood"

This ain't Arethra's "Doctor Feelgood" (same title, different tune), but it's still pretty good.

6. Baby Gramps: "Bahama Mama"

I've never heard a voice that so perfectly matches its beard.

7. André Canniere Group: "Accelerated Decrepitude"


See how spoiled I am? AC is another one of the many uber-talented folks who have played with the IJG. Thanks, André!

8. Bruce Springsteen: "Does This Bus Stop at 82nd Street"

A bootleg recording from Springsteen's eccentric wacko (i.e., "good") phase.

9. Katell Keineg: "One Hell of a Life"

For Harvey Korman, and also because my daughter has started asking me to explain the concept of death. (Oh shit, how am I gonna do that?)

10. John Lee Hooker: "Onions"

Onions from John Lee Hooker are better than ice cream from Jack Johnson.

11. Erkin Koray: "Hele Yar"

Some call him the Turkish Jimi Hendrix. Huh?

12. The Edsels: "Who Put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop Shoo Bop."

Okay, I'll admit it. It was me. I put the bop in the bop shoo bop shoo bop. Can we just drop it now?

And here's last week's.

Now to sleep.

No comments: