Sunday, July 24, 2005

Three lessons

Three things I learned from the Elvis Schoenberg show at the Ford Ampitheater on Friday:

1. Costumes, costumes, costumes!

2. It helps to feature hot chick dancers.

3. Let the audience bring their own alcohol.

The show was a great inspiration, moreso than any show I've seen in a long while. Schoenberg (aka Ross Wright) and his Orchestre Surreal accomplished exactly the sort of thing I'm interested in doing: bringing "weird music" (or whatever you want to call it) to a mass audience. It looked to me like the 1000+ venue was pretty close to selling out. And though the music was really advanced and adventurous, it was fun and accessible too, and people seemed to be having a good time.

Thankfully, the IJG's music is significantly different from the OS's. But I still think we can learn from their shtick.

There are always ways to improve!

No comments: