Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Faking it

Sometimes I feel like my whole career boils down to / can be summed up as a musical version of this.

Of course, I wonder if there is anyone working in jazz (or music) today who doesn't occasionally feel that way about their own stuff? Like we're all pale reflections?

Maybe, like marketers, all musicians are liars? Pay no attention to whatever's going on behind the curtain! Just buy my damned record!

Of course, in another sense, musicians speak the truth like nobody's business. Testifying is a key part of what we do. And it's a kind of truth you won't get anywhere else.

Sorry to be so cryptic this morning. I'm just free-associating between sips of coffee.

4 comments:

Jason Parker said...

"Of course, I wonder if there is anyone working in jazz (or music) today who doesn't occasionally feel that way about their own stuff? Like we're all pale reflections?"

Only every time I hear myself play!

But it's a life-long process, no? Maybe someday I'll finally hear something and say unequivocally "hey, that's ME!"

A guy can dream, can't he...?

David Ocker said...

Write or play only what makes you feel good and I betcha this won't be a problem.

Numinous said...

I think any artist that is producing interesting work has to feel some doubt some of the times. A humility is the way I think we can be honest with ourselves and our work.

Andrew Durkin said...

Thanks, all, for your comments!

David -- yes, I agree, sticking with what makes you feel good is key. Of course, it sometimes takes a bit of self-knowledge to figure out what that really is!

Jason -- it's a cumulative process, yes, and hard work and persistence pay off!

Joe -- Good point! And I'd add that that doubt can keep us hungry, and being hungry is in part what can inspire us to greater heights.