Thursday, December 21, 2006

Ringtones are all irritating




I know, I know. I've been spending too much time on YouTube. I swear, it's only cuz Time Magazine told me to. (Can I just digress here for a moment and mention how irritating I find that whole Person-of-the-Year-2006 thing? As if somehow grass-roots, independent communities never mattered until now?)

Anyway, Jill hipped me to the above video. Fucking beautiful, it is.

Incidentally, there's also a Birmingham (i.e., British) Complaints Choir, but they're not as good, in my opinion -- for one thing, they're less able to keep the straight face necessary to make the lyrics work.

Here, then, is another example of the kind of thing I was trying to get at a few posts back: "serious" humor as an effective resistance strategy. In this case, the juxtaposition of "boring dreams" and too-long reference numbers (for instance) threatens to produce laughter and tears all at once: is this the hoped-for utopia of the 21st century?

1 comment:

Kris Tiner said...

If they wanted to be really cynical they could have added "The chords to this song... are very repetitive..."

Maybe that just makes it all the more irritating...

I've seen this linked all over the internet but haven't started the movie until I found it on your blog... that must mean that I trust you the most.

You should see if they'd collaborate with IJG.